School of Medical Sciences – University of Campinas
The main objective of our group is to investigate the phenotypic and genotypic determinants of cardiovascular alterations, particularly in hypertensive patients and subjects with spinal cord injury. For this purpose, we use several methodologies, such as echocardiography, vascular ultrasonography, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging and molecular biology tools.
- Roberto Schreiber
- Layde Rosane Paim
- Audes Magalhães Feitosa
- Edmilson Marques
- Luís Felipe Rodrigues dos Santos Carvalho Romano
- Walter Emanoel Magalhães Rocha
- Matheus Fiori
- Rafael Bonafé
- Carotid flow velocity/diameter ratio is a predictor of cardiovascular events in hypertensive patients.
- PGC-1 is differentially expressed during aseptic inflammation and infection and that it is necessary for adequate phagocytosis (Llimona F, de Lima TM, Moretti AI, Theobaldo M, Jukemura J, Velasco IT, Machado MC, Souza HP.PGC-1? expression is increased in leukocytes in experimental acute pancreatitis. Inflammation. 2014 Aug;37(4):1231-9)
- There are major differences in clinical and genotypic determinants of cardiovascular remodeling between men and women with systemic arterial hypertension.
- Genetic variants of NADPH-oxidase and toll-like receptors are associated with cardiac remodeling in hypertensive patients.
- Chronic spinal cord injury is associated with accelerated atherosclerosis and impaired cardiac diastolic function and these alterations are attenuated by adapted sports activities.
1) Nadruz W Jr, Claggett B, Henglin M, Shah AM, Skali H, Rosamond WD, Folsom AR, Solomon SD, Cheng S. Racial Disparities in Risks of Stroke. N Engl J Med. 2017;376(21):2089-2090. 2) Nadruz W Jr, Claggett B, Henglin M, Shah AM, Skali H, Rosamond WD, Folsom AR, Solomon SD, Cheng S. Widening Racial Differences in Risks for Coronary Heart Disease. Circulation. 2018;137(11):1195-1197. 3) Nadruz W Jr, Claggett BL, McMurray JJ, Packer M, Zile MR, Rouleau JL, Desai AS, Swedberg K, Lefkowitz M, Shi VC, Prescott MF, Solomon SD. Impact of Body Mass Index on the Accuracy of N-Terminal Pro-Brain Natriuretic Peptide and Brain Natriuretic Peptide for Predicting Outcomes in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: Insights From the PARADIGM-HF Study (Prospective Comparison of ARNI With ACEI to Determine Impact on Global Mortality and Morbidity in Heart Failure Trial). Circulation. 2016;134(22):1785-1787. 4) Feitosa AD, Mota-Gomes, MA, Nadruz W Jr. How should treated hypertensive patients with systolic blood pressure below 120 mmHg be managed? Eur Heart J. 2019;40(25):2089-2090 5) Silvestre OM, Nadruz W Jr, Querejeta Roca G, Claggett B, Solomon SD, Mirabelli MC, London SJ, Loehr LR, Shah AM. Declining Lung Function and Cardiovascular Risk: The ARIC Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018;72(10):1109-1122. 6) Paim LR, Schreiber R, de Rossi G, Matos-Souza JR, Costa E Silva A, Calegari DR, Cheng S, Marques FZ, Sposito AC, Gorla JI, Cliquet A, Nadruz W. Circulating microRNAs, vascular risk and physical activity in spinal cord-injured subjects. J Neurotrauma. 2019;36(6):845-852. 7) Bellinazzi VR, Cipolli JA, Pimenta MV, Guimarães PV, Pio-Magalhães JA, Coelho-Filho OR, Biering-Sørensen T, Matos-Souza JR, Sposito AC, Nadruz W Jr. Carotid flow velocity/diameter ratio is a predictor of cardiovascular events in hypertensive patients. J Hypertens. 2015;33(10):2054-60. 8) Nadruz W Jr, Gonçalves A, Claggett B, Querejeta Roca G, Shah AM, Cheng S, Heiss G, Ballantyne CM, Solomon SD. Influence of cigarette smoking on cardiac biomarkers: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016;18(6):629-37 9) Ferreira de Souza T, Quinaglia A C Silva T, Osorio Costa F, Shah R, Neilan TG, Velloso L, Nadruz W, Brenelli F, Sposito AC, Matos-Souza JR, Cendes F, Coelho OR, Jerosch-Herold M, Coelho-Filho OR. Anthracycline Therapy Is Associated With Cardiomyocyte Atrophy and Preclinical Manifestations of Heart Disease. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018;11(8):1045-1055. 10) Marques ER, Gemignani T, Azevedo RC, Higa CM, Coelho-Filho OR, Matos-Souza JR, Sposito AC, Nadruz W Jr. Distinct factors are related to lower limb atherosclerosis in smokers and nonsmokers. J Hypertens. 2018;36(12):2390-2397.
Faculdade de Ciências Médicas- UNICAMP
Prédio Vital Brasil
Rua Vital Brasil-50
Cidade Universitária Zeferino Vaz, S/N